During the Youth Employment Program, Lighthouse International's Career Services staff work closely with students during the school year, as well as throughout the summer months, to help them secure paying jobs in the community. In a number of cases, these teens gain experience in fields they plan to pursue.
Students who have participated in the Youth Employment Program have been placed at the following companies:
- Hunter College
- Lenox Hill Neighborhood House
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- God's Love We Deliver (a home-delivered meal program for older adults and AIDS patients)
- Morris Heights Health Center - Reach Out and Read Program
- Beth Abraham Family of Health Services
- Housing Works - Used Book Store and Cafe
Job responsibilities at these companies have ranged from assisting in archive services, office administration, customer service, and performing music for seniors. In one placement, a student working as a reader also educated children about disabilities.
Students participating in the Youth Employment Program provide valuable services to their employers, while gaining experience and an awareness of the positive contributions they can make in the community. Students also aid in their own marketability for career exploration and growth
If you are a student with a visual impairment and are looking for employment, please fill out our contact form or call (212) 821-9200.