Lighthouse International's Scholarship and Career Awards program recognizes outstanding students for overcoming the challenges of vision loss, helps them to pursue higher education and nurtures their career aspirations. This time-honored tradition is celebrating its 33rd anniversary -- offering seven $10,000 awards.
Please note that the application window for the 2013 Scholarships and Career Awards has passed. If you would like to be notified when the 2014 application becomes available, please contact Melissa Shorey at email@example.com.
- College-Bound Awards
- Undergraduate Award
- The Trinka Davis Graduate Award was permanently endowed with a gift from the Trinka Davis Foundation
- The Judy Van Nostrand Arts Award is given to someone already distinguished, or who shows exceptional promise, in a creative endeavor such as the visual arts, writing, music, graphic arts, etc.
- The Harry G. Starr Endowed Scholarship was endowed with a generous bequest from the late Harry G. Starr, a successful financial entrepreneur and investor.
- The Syde Hurdus President's Award is given in memory of Ms. Hurdus' dedication to the Lighthouse, and in honor of her commitment to preparing young people with vision loss for promising lives rich in achievement.
Candidates may apply at any time immediately, prior to, or during their course of study.
The Scholarship and Career Awards are open to students residing in the eastern U.S. (FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, DC, MD, PA, DE, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME). Students interested in applying for a scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be legally blind (i.e., have a best corrected visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye, and/or a visual field of less than 20 degrees in the better eye).
- Scholarships are based on academic and personal achievements. Therefore, candidates are not required to demonstrate financial need.
- Applicants must be US citizens, and reside in one of the stated listed above .
- Applicants must attend an accredited college or university in one of the 50 states, District of Columbia or a US territory.
- Proof of citizenship will be required of all award recipients.
- Previous SCA recipients and current Lighthouse employees and members of their immediate families are ineligible.